---into the blue

wishing ctrl-z worked for life too

1.28.2005

on living with roommates, part 1 of a new series

This morning, after taking my shower, I realise my jeans are still in my dance bag from last night. And my dance bag is in the next room down the hallway. So I wrap my still naked self in a towel and open my door to go grab it.

And immediately shut it again, after making a sound like "glurmk!" .

One of my roommates is lying all scrunched up on the floor of the hallway. With his face all mashed into the carpet. He is also mostly naked, wearing only pyjama pants. As I open my door, he scrambles and bolts upright. Scaring the crap out of me.

"glurmk!" Door closes. He had so not been there five minutes ago when I'd come out of the bathroom. His room and bathroom are in the basement. My room is on the second story. What could have prompted him, in the last five minutes, to come up two flights of stairs, and lie down in the hallway?

I wait thirty seconds or so, figuring that whatever had been happening was now relocated to the basement. I open the door again, more cautiously this time, and leave my room. The hallway is clear.

I go into the room next door, which is my home office. And there's my roommate, standing there in the dark, still half naked. We have the following exchange:

r: "hi"
me: "sorry!"
r: *runs away*
me: "what the hell did I just apologise for?"

And the thing is, I don't even want to know what he was doing. As long as it doesn't become a habit, I don't care in the least. And as long as my other roommate doesn't start doing it too. Because that would be something we'd have to discuss.

I'm not even going to mention our semi-naked morning meeting unless he feels compelled to bring it up. I hope he doesn't. Because this conversation would be all kinds of awkward:

r: "so this morning..."
me: "uh huh..."
r: "I was just, uh, testing the feel of the upstairs carpet on my face."
me: "sure."
r: "...."
me: "just so I know, are you planning on doing that every morning?"
r: "...."



[Total side note, but isn't "roommate" a really funny word when you look at it? I totally thought it was either "room mate" or "roomate", but Word tells me it's not. So be it. It just seems like a lot of m's and o's in a row, y'know?]




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home